There are three steps in achieving career goals and searching for a job.
Step One: Get a Clear Career Goal
The first step in search for a job is setting a career goal.
In order to set a career goal, you have to take inventory of yourself to determine what you can offer an employer.
You need to –
- Build awareness, knowledge and understanding of our strengths, interests, abilities, and skills
- List your ambitions, values, education, and experiences
- Determine your job preferences –job duties, salary, geographic location, and work conditions
Step Two: Explore Career Options
In order to identify potential careers, you may use career exploration and social media resources to gather the following occupational information –
- Labor market
- Work industries
- Companies, organizations, or agencies
- Specific careers
Step Three: Overcome Career Roadblocks
When you are trying to reach a career goal, there will always be obstacles. You solve career problems by completing the following steps –
- Identify educational and career planning obstacles
- Create solutions or courses of action
- Set achievable goals
- Resolve conflicts
- Commit to reach our goals
Step Four: Execution
You execute your career plans when you use different strategies –
- Reality testing
- Social Media
- Job Search Strategies – Resume Writing and Interview Preparation
While implementing and, you translate vocational interests, abilities, and skills into job opportunities. You do reality testing by implementing a variety of strategies.
Social Media and Networking Tools
Networking can help you complete targeted job searches. You can use a variety of social media tools to learn and connect with professional associations and potential employers. Three major networking social media tools are –
Resume Writing and Interviewing Strategies
Resume writing and interview preparation are essential skills needed to land a potential job.
Types of resumes are –
- Chronological – listing experiences in reverse chronological order
- Functional – emphasizing specific skills
There are steps to prepare for a successful interview -
- Review common interview questions
- Prepare for behavior or STAR interviews
- Practice - Practice is essential for a successful interview.
- Dress for success
The Career Planning Life Cycle is used with a variety of career tests.